We have a number of studio spaces and workshops available.
These vary in size from under 100 to over 1,000 square feet; the majority are shared, but there are some self-contained rooms. They all have 24 hour, 365 days access, natural light and electricity. Accessibility for these spaces varies - please see the detailed note here.
We have a standard application pack which can be downloaded, then completed and emailed or posted back to us. If you’d like a hard copy by post, please email us at email@example.com or call 01209 313200. The pack includes more detail on our selection criteria, tenancy agreements, rental charges and so on, but here are some key points:
- Tenancy agreements are on easy in/out terms and are subject to a month’s notice on either side; we ask for payment one month in advance by standing order.
- Rents are in the region of £7.50 per sq ft per year plus VAT. This is inclusive of cleaning and maintenance of common areas, electricity & water charges and business rates. So a 10’ x 10’ space is 100 square feet which would cost about £900 per year or £17 per week, roughly. For tenants with particularly heavy electrical use e.g. kilns we’ll negotiate extra charges if appropriate. Larger spaces get a small discount in the rate per square foot.
- Tenants aren’t guaranteed parking spaces, but generally there is room for cars and small vans.
- We expect tenants to commit to substantial and regular use of their spaces and this is a condition of tenancy agreements. In other words, it isn’t acceptable just to use your space for storage and an occasional day’s work, but we realise that not everyone earns most of their income from their studio work and we positively welcome a mixture of new and established practitioners on site.
- Given that most spaces will be shared, we need to consider the types of work carefully in terms of issues such as dust, noise and so on. It’s unlikely that we can accommodate stone carvers at this point, for example.
- We ask tenants to sign up to being considerate users (minimising disturbance to neighbours both inside the building e.g. use of radios & power tools and outside e.g. noise when coming or going at night) and to keeping workspaces and the buildings secure for everyone. We take part in the annual Cornwall Open Studios events and hope that tenants will be willing to play their part in this and other events or activities to publicise the overall scheme.
If our funding applications are successful, then we expect to implement the capital development scheme in several phases, starting in 2013. When the capital scheme starts, there will inevitably be some disruption to day to day activity on site, but we will stay open throughout the build programme and most existing spaces will stay as they are.